Saturday, January 11, 2014

Movie Review --- Lone Survivor

I'll admit right off that I didn't want to go see this movie.  I just knew it was going to be hard to watch, and I'd much rather watch something that's scifi, or chick-flicky, then watch real life pain. I'm kind of a wuss that way.  But John's been wanting to see this since we heard about it, and I only reluctantly went along with him, vowing to "not watch" the parts I knew were going to upset me too much. [And, selfishly, now John owes me a chick flick. Ha! Let's see if that works.]

But I'm here to tell you, you can not NOT watch this movie.  Once you get to know these men, and the movie does a great job of getting us to CARE about what happens to them right off the bat, you can't not be there for them throughout the film.

They carefully start the movie by showing how hard it is to pass the SEAL training, which was definitely a good idea -- you know that these guy's are the toughest of the toughest, and not just any foot soldier being sent into harm's way.

I was impressed by the job done by these Hollywood actors.  Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch (John Carter!), Emile Hirsch, and Ben Foster should all be up for awards.  They were magnificent. I'd like to think that the real men that they portrayed would be proud of how they looked on film. I read that Taylor Kitsch and Mark Wahlberg, and the director Peter Berg, worked at a discount on this film -- only taking the minimum required salaries.  That says a lot about how dedicated they were to getting this film made.

There's so much I could say about this on the political side of things, but I've vowed to keep this blog out of politics, so you will have to imagine what I'd like to say.  Suffice to say, I came out of this movie angry. I should say A N G R Y! And more determined than ever.  That's all I'm going to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment