Friday, October 24, 2014

The Big Project is almost done!

(Not going to mention here that I haven't blogged since Oct. 1st!!!! What's happening to me?)

We've been adding a cast iron stove/fireplace to the outside pavilion.  It's a bit more of a project then I thought it was going to be, but it will all be worth it in the end.  We ordered a nice little fireplace that has a blower (sqwee!!) that should help keep us a bit warmer on the pavilion when it really gets cold.  Not that we get a lot of cold weather here, but it will extend the amount of days that we can enjoy our big outdoor room. Then we had to locate the right kind of stove pipe, the thing-a-ma-jigs that you have to put on the roof for the smoke to go out (I'm so technical, aren't I? ha!), a grate for inside the stove, various other stuff you need that I had no idea about, and then we got started.
John poured a nice little stage area in the corner where we wanted the stove.....then that had to dry and cure for a few days....
 Then we had to go buy the flat rock to top that off with, lay it out and glue those down.....and allow that to dry for a few days....
 then spread out the grout that was a LOT darker then we had counted on.....but its growing on me...., then wash the extra grout off of the rock as best we could.....then let that dry and cure for a few days....
 then John had to straighten out the front face of the little stage area so we could put on the Mexican tile that we ordered for it and then let that dry and cure for a few days.....
 Meanwhile the stove came in and we put that in (well, not we....he.)  Trying to get this thing level was no fun.  That rock would not cooperate.  We ended up having to put some tiles under the legs, but its level now.  Sigh.....
John then cut the hole in the roof and installed the stovepipe.  It was a bit easier then I thought it would be, or maybe John just made it look that way.  
 Next, John pasted the Mexican tile on the front face of the stage.  Our floor out there is semi-level, which means its not really level, so that always frustrates him.  I say, do the best you can and let it go. No amount of anxiety is going to make that floor level.  In the end, he got it done.  Now we have to let that dry and cure.....
 I think they turned out nice.  I like the tile John picked out.
Yesterday John did the grout around the tile.  I haven't taken a picture of it yet.  It's drying and curing.

The grate came in yesterday, so as soon as we have a cool day, we'll fire up the stove and see how it does.  I'll post a picture then!

Now I'm dreaming of a little sofa and chair to sit around the fire.....I'll have to keep my eye peeled for a good buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment