Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Poet Laureate, or the Time We Got Some Culture....

Sunday we went to see the newest museum here in Wyoming, over in Big Horn.
The art museum

It's a gorgeous facility made possible by one of their ranchers, Mr. Brinton and family, and Forrest Mars who helped bankroll the place.  It was a very pretty building spotlighting some of the art collection and native American lifestyle pieces that Mr. Brinton had collected through the years.  I'm guessing the museum has added to that, but the brochure I have here is lacking in facts.  There was also a really neat room displaying local artists called the 2015 Small Works.  Some of those pieces of art were fascinating, but you'll have to take my word for it since I couldn't use the camera in any of the buildings. Rats!!
View from their Observation Deck

(Also, on a side note, I did have some pictures on my phone camera of the ranch house and out buildings, but...errrr....uh.....I crushed my phone. Don't ask...I'm still getting over it.  Maybe I can talk about it in a few days...(*cry*)

But, back to the cultural event -- we got to listen to Wyoming's 7th Poet Laureate read her poem commemorating Wyoming's 125th Anniversary of Statehood, along with some of her published work.  Cute little lady, must have been close to 80, with some really nice work.  The one about her mother made me cry.  Her name is A. Rose Hill in case you want to look her up.
The grounds were beautiful -- because Mari's brother is the grounds caretaker there! They had all the original carriage houses, barns, hen house (with a flock of red hens!), bunk house, and some beautiful flowers all around.

That evening we had some delicious steaks and John H's sister, Christy, came to visit.  It was a very nice easy day.
On Monday we explore the fall foliage....more on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment