Saturday, March 26, 2016

Spring Garden Notes - March 26, 2016

Well, of course, after weeks and weeks of warm weather, luring me into a false sense of security, we eventually got a couple of nights of freezing weather again.  I do this every year -- you'd think I'd learn.  I cover all the tomatoes and peppers as much as possible, and even threw blankets over these on the second night.  Most of them lost a few leaves, but overall the plants will be okay.
 My tomato plants (the rocks are to weight them down in the wind)
 All the pepper plants

This one tomato plant got the worst of it - I hate it since this is one that I raised from seed and a particular variety I was so excited about.  It's a Rapunzel tomato, so I may try to baby it along and see what happens.  Or I may just pull it up and replace it.  What to do, what to do......?
The potatoes are up, I'm pretty sure every one I planted has now sprouted!  I'll add dirt to this container as these plants get taller to fill the tub to the top.
Here are the two plants I'm growing for the fences this year -- no gourds for a change.  I'm hoping they do well, two types of melons.  The crispy golden melon was a free pack from Baker Creek Seeds, but the one I'm most interested in is the Long Ex Snake!  Started these in pots and will transplant them out by the fence when they are big enough.
Today I planted the squash house - it's a couple of cattle panels curved into an arch that John put up for me a few years ago.  Sometimes we put climbing beans on it, but this year its all squash.

Sweet Meat - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Table Dainty - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Red Kuri - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Japanese Pie - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Tomboncino Squash - Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
So now Beds #1, 2, 3 and 5 are planted.  Monday we start planting Bed #4, the final one.  More beans and squash, mostly.  

Meanwhile, around the rest of the place....
Our three bridal veil plants are starting to show off!  So pretty, I really love these plants.
The Tangerine Cross Vine is starting to pop down by the potting shed.  Today I watched a hummingbird enjoying them.
Our Afghan pine is starting to develop new needles.
And the granddaughters are enjoying the Fairy garden.  I love how they both have embraced the idea of fairies.  KT is very sure they are real, and Joss is just enjoying all the little things she can move around.  She's trying to put a Disney princess on the fairy swing here, but she wouldn't stay on the seat.  So cute...this just made my heart swell watching them.  KT has lots of ideas about what we can make for the fairies this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment