Sunday, March 6, 2016

Spring Garden Notes - March 6, 2016

Gosh, I haven't updated my garden notes for a while...we've been spending all of our time out in the gardens and have made lots of progress.  I've started planting out some of the little plants that were started in the greenhouse, starting with Bed #1H:

Broccoli, Purple Heading
Broccoli, Green Goliath
Broccoli, Romanesque


 Bak Choy

Peas, Oregon Sugar Pod
Peas, Oregon Giant
The peas are finally coming up!

Next up in Bed#1G are yellow, white and red onions.  I purchased these sets from Tractor Supply - didn't start these from seeds.

In Bed#1F are spinach and kale.  I've had on and off success with spinach in the past, so hopefully this will be a good year.  I'll be planting some in the container garden, too, just in case.

Spinach, Firebird F1
Spinach, America
Spinach, Giant Noble




And in Bed#1E are the lettuce, using the seed mats that I made a few days ago.  Such an easy way to plant these tiny seeds.

Lettuce, Buttercrunch
Lettuce, Sierra
Lettuce, Paris Island
Lettuce, Jericho



Today I put out the tomato plants that I've been growing in the greenhouse.  I've had them outside during these beautiful spring days lately for several hours to get them use to it.  I sure hope we're done with the freezes, because there's no turning back now!  These went into Bed#1A:

Tomato, Rapunzel (2 plants)
Tomato, 10 Fingers of Naples (2 plants)
Tomato, Marion (1 purchased plant)
Tomato, Florida 91 (1 purchased plant)
We'll be placing drip irrigation on these in the next few days.  There's some rain in the forecast for the next couple of days, so hopefully we'll get some!  We really need it.

Meanwhile, two of the rhubarb plants have emerged, and I'm not giving up on the third yet.
 The two pear trees are sprouting and the Orient Pear is blooming!  So pretty!
 Orient Pear
Warren Pear

And John decided he wanted to try some strawberries, so I've left that project to him.  He put in 8 plants of this variety this week.  We'll see how they do.
Spring, here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment